To see all variations of Kozhukattai or Modak visit this page – All variations of Modak Recipes
For Kara Kozhukattai: see this recipe as YouTube video.
- Onion – 1 – finely chopped
- Curry leaves – as required
- Channa dal – 2 tbsp (you can skip this)
- Oil – as required
- Green chillies – 2 (add as per taste)
- Coconut pieces – 2 tbsp (finely chopped to small pieces)
For Kara Kozhukattai:
- Heat oil in a pan and add ¼ tsp mustard seeds and allow it splutter.
- Then add finely chopped green chillies, channa dal and sauté till the channa dal turns golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and once it splutters, add the finely chopped onion and sauté till it becomes translucent and add the chopped coconut and sauté for few secs.
- Reduce the flame and add the kozhukattai dough as required and mix well and switch off flame.
- Let this mixture cool down for 5 mins. Then make the mixture into balls of your desired size and fold it in your palm by closing your fingers around it.